Out of the Past

I came into this life a reader, if there's a god, that's the way I'll go out.

Name:
Location: United States

I write and think therefore I am

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Stand on Zanzibar

I read this book back in 1970, a couple of years after it had been published. At the time I was learning about science fiction as a genre even as I was teaching it to my high school students in a class called "Science Fiction as Literature". I remember my amazement at the beginning of this story because the author, John Brunner, did not attempt in anyway to prepare me for the style in which the story, one of political intrigue and scientific invention, that simply grew its own sort of reality, began. It was as though a tv screen began blinking, then flashing images, announcements, news of a world going on right outside my door. And once I got into the rhythm of it, the world, his world, supposedly our world in 2010 was no longer outside my door but very much in the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home